Sunday, July 18, 2010

San Juan Solstice 50 Race Report

It has been under a month since the race, so I am getting better about timely posts...  Anyway June 19th was the San Juan Solstice 50 (aka the Lake City 50).  This was my first 50 miler and an incredible time.  

We arrived in CO on the Thursday before the race (acclimate?  what's that?) and drove to Lake City on Friday with my coach and brother in law Paul DeWitt.  I knew we were in for a good time when I realized that the motel we were booked at was the Silver Spur Motel & LIQUOR STORE!  Talk about a post race bonus!  I could hobble my way to an adult beverage.

One of the things that has attracted me to the world of ultra-running is the low key nature of the events and people.  San Juan was no different.  The pre-race dinner and briefing was good and promised a great day on Sat.


The race starts and finishes at the park in the center of Lake City, CO.  The race leads out of town and the road quickly switches to dirt.  A couple of miles in and the course turns onto single track and the fun really begins.    


  Lake City Center

Soon after turning onto the single track, I came across a guy and we exchanged pleasantries. We quickly recognized each other as fellow flat-landers from the Carolinas.  Brett Welborn asked if my Father In Law was running (he had raced with us at Gator Trail) and I told him to watch for him to come up any second...

The single track criss crosses a creek several times during the initial miles of the race.  Log bridges were present at most of the crossings, but I quickly realized that I would likely bust my butt falling off the wet logs (a gymnast I am NOT).  So, I splashed my way across and the cold water made sure I was wide awake.  Invigorating is a word that came to mind.

Part way up this climb brings runners to the first aid station.  The staff was a group of enthusiastic guys and their dogs who looked like they had been camping out.  I refilled my camel back and trekked on up the hill.  

Nearing the top of the climb I started to notice the altitude, but the course descends almost immediately and it is amazing the difference a thousand feet makes.  At the base of the descent is the second aid station (approx mile 15) and the first time runners see their crews.  I swapped out a hand-held, refilled my camel back, explained why I was filthy (I fell - into a nice soft bush - about 1/2 mile earlier), and was off for climb #2.

Jim DeWitt Coming into 2nd Aid Station

The second climb takes longer than the first.  It is mostly on jeep roads (most of the race is single track) and we got passed by some dirt bikers (gotta love that exhaust) part way up.  Around mile 21 you reach the Carson aid station, which was one of the drop bag locations.  I swapped out a hand-held for a fresh multi-hour bottle of Perpetuem, glanced at the food (my stomach told me to stick with the liquid diet), and was off again.  

I carried 1 hand-held with a multi-hour bottle of Perpetuem, 1 with Gatorade, and a Camel Back with water during the race.  I also had Gu's and salt tabs stashed in pockets.  

The second climb tops out on the Continental Divide and runners spend about 10 miles up there.  So, this time there was no quick reprieve from the altitude.  I ran the flat and down sections, but power walked anything even remotely uphill.  There was a group in front of me that kept trying to run the lower inclined sections, but I was catching them and decided to stick with my strategy.  There is one aid station on The Divide and it signals that you are close beginning the descent to Slumgullion.  God, that aid station was a welcome site!  I knew when I saw it that I was on track for a sub 12hr (my goal) finish.  

The descent to Slumgullion is about 8 miles and leaves your quads pretty well trashed for the final climb.  You see your crew for the second time at "Slum" (mile 40) and can pick up a pacer at this point.  Paul had said that he would pace either Jim or me, whoever was running slower.  Luckily, I left "Slum" with nothing but some fresh nutrition and words of encouragement...


Still Running at Mile 40


The final climb is "only" about 2000 feet, but it kicks your butt.  You are on the Vickers Ranch at this point and I was warned earlier by another runner that they don't believe in switchbacks.  This may be true...  Several times I just wanted to grab a tree and rest.  However, I kept putting one foot in front of the other and managed to make it to the top.  The course then rolls through some pretty meadows.  A guy I was hiking up the climb with started running a little before me at the top (I needed to catch my breath) and saw a couple of elk just after leaving me (if only I was tougher!).  Around mile 45 you come to the Vickers Aid Station, where they seem to really enjoy this race.  I was offered a gin and tonic (to "ward off the scurvy") by a thoughtful volunteer and nearly accepted.  However, I was almost done and remember where I was staying...


As you leave the Vickers Aid Station you begin the descent back into Lake City.  This was tough, because my first thought when seeing the town was "dang, it's all the way over there!". At the base of the descent the single track gives way to flat dirt roads as you run the final blocks back to the park in the center of town.  


The following morning everyone was invited back to the park for a breakfast and awards ceremony.  Not only did they give the traditional 1st, 2nd, 3rd, prizes, but they also had some more interesting categories - for example: Jim won the nastiest feet award!  


What a beautiful and enjoyable race!  I would certainly consider doing it again.  Oh, and I did hobble over to the Silver Spur Motel and Liquor Store to "replace some carbs".  
  
  Tired, Dirty Dogs

No comments:

Post a Comment