Thursday, January 28, 2010

We Are Supposed to Run Barefoot

I have become a fan of barefoot running or running in the Vibram 5 Fingers shoes.  I think it helps form and helps train the nervous and sensory systems.  I have really noticed the difference when running rough trails in the 5 Fingers compared to my "normal" running shoes.  Now, all the above is purely anecdotal, non-scientific, and only my opinion (i.e. probably B.S.).

Or is it?  This story was on yesterday's broadcast of NPR's "All Things Considered":


Summing it up, they found that barefoot runners had less collisional force during footfall when compared to those wearing running shoes.  Those in shoes were also much more prone to heel strike.  

Interesting....  Maybe I'm not completely full of B.S.  Or then again....

No comments:

Post a Comment