Tuesday, February 2, 2010

More Barefoot / Midfoot Thoughts

Continuing the thoughts of the previous post, the following links arrived in my inbox recently and thought might be of interest:


"Running Barefoot Kicks Up Mixed Emotions"


"Run Softly, Naturally"


I do disagree with Mr. Plaatjes quoted in the first link.  He owns the Boulder Running Company, where I first found relief from my horrendous form.  They sold me a motion control shoe and ignored the root cause of the problem (i.e. my form).  This worked for a while, but eventually caught up with me.  I have since taken several steps down in support, even doing some of my running barefoot or in the Vibram 5 Fingers.  Note that the root cause (bad technique) had to be addressed during this process.  


That said, I don't think I would go from a motion control shoe to running a marathon barefoot.  Patience and working gradually is probably advised...  
  

No comments:

Post a Comment